Finding top talent is challenging today. Unemployment rates are low and there has never been more competition for top talent. It has also become more common for overqualified candidates to…
Finding top talent is challenging today. Unemployment rates are low and there has never been more competition for top talent. It has also become more common for overqualified candidates to apply for positions that are lower than their skill set.
It’s common for sales organizations to receive a plethora of applicants for an open sales position. Some have the right qualifications, while others are not quite right for the role, and some appear to be overqualified. Sometimes, the overqualified candidate appears to be the front runner.
This begs the question, should you hire an overqualified sales candidate?
Here Toronto sales headhunters outline some of the key considerations and pros and cons of hiring an overqualified candidate for a sales role.
Hiring an overqualified candidate is not an easy decision. There are many things to think about. An overqualified candidate can have a very positive or potentially negative impact on your sales team. When thinking about hiring an overqualified sales professional, consider:
1. Your immediate talent need: Do you have an immediate need for talent? Does the candidate fit the role? Can the candidate help you fill your current talent void?
2. Short and long term effects: What are the short term and long term impacts of hiring an overqualified candidate? Will it benefit you short and long term? Is it only a short term fix?
3. The candidate’s motivation: Why is the candidate applying for the role? What is their motivation? Are they just looking for a paycheck? Do they have a desire to work for your company? Are they seeking a specific type of opportunity?
4. Cultural fit: Even if they are not someone you would typically hire, does the overqualified candidate fit your company culture better than other candidates?
5. Your recruiting and talent management strategy: Does hiring overqualified candidates fit within your current approach to how you manage your talent? Could it cause a disruption?
As Toronto sales recruiters, we know there are potential risks and rewards in hiring an overqualified sales candidate. Here are the pros and cons to consider:
When hiring overqualified candidates, it’s important to consider their impact now and in the future. Think about how you can best utilize their skills and experience, even possibly changing the job to better suit the candidate’s abilities. Always be transparent about your plans for the new employee and ensure you are on the same page so they don’t get different expectations.
Overqualified sales candidates can benefit your company when you find the right fit. Check out these additional blogs from Toronto sales headhunters to get insightful hiring tips:
SalesForce Search is a Toronto sales recruiting company which specializes in the recruitment and placement of sales professionals. We recruit salespeople in every sector of the economy including, software, manufacturing, financial services and medical devices. Find the right salesperson for your organization, start your search here.
Rhys is a tenacious, top performing Senior Sales Recruiter with 15+ years of focused experience in the Digital Media, Mobile, Software, Technology and B2B verticals. He has a successful track record of headhunting top performing sales candidates for some of the most exciting brands in North America. He is a Certified Recruitment Specialist (CRS) and has expert experience in prospecting new business, client retention/renewals and managing top performing sales and recruitment teams. Rhys enjoys spending quality time with his wife, son, and daughters, BBQing on a hot summer day and tropical vacations.