It happens to every sales person at least once. You hit a slump and it seems like no matter what you do, you can’t get out of it. The longer it goes on, the more your self-confidence begins to slip and you worry that you’ll never get out of the slump. Before your self-assurance completely erodes, you need to make a few changes to your mind set. Your goal is to improve yourself and build confidence, selling capabilities.
When you start to feel the slump taking over and you feel unable to build confidence, selling capabilities, there are a few ways to change your self-perception. Here are 7 ways to build confidence, selling capabilities.
- Dress for Success. The old saying goes, “the clothes make the man”. Dressing professionally and paying attention to your appearance will help you build confidence, selling capabilities. People react differently to a person in sweat pants and a tee shirt than they do to a person dressed to impress. The reaction you get can help you build confidence, selling capabilities.
- Don’t Slouch. If you are in a physical slump, it’s hard to get out of an emotional one. There’s a reason that your mother always told you to sit up straight, it makes you feel better, and your body language is more positive. A positive feeling allows you to build confidence, selling capabilities. Working out and regular physical activity can boost your confidence as well.
- Smile. Smiling can build confidence, selling capabilities. There are scientific studies that show that smiling makes you feel better. You smile when you’re happy and if you smile, you can make yourself happy. Happiness leads to feeling more self-assured. People normally respond to a smile with a smile and the great feelings just keep growing. Even on the phone, people can tell when you are smiling. It is one of the simplest and strongest ways to build confidence, selling capabilities.
- Use Your Eyes. Making and keeping eye contact displays confidence. Like smiling, it shows self-assurance and that you are comfortable with yourself. Refusing to make eye contact will add to your self-doubt and is more likely to build distrust in the person you are speaking to. It is not the way to build confidence, selling capabilities. Look them in the eye!
- Talk To Yourself. We all have an inner voice. If your inner voice is knowing you down and is not helping you to build confidence, selling capabilities, than you need to change what that voice is saying. Be supportive of yourself. Find an inspirational quote that has meaning to you and repeat it to yourself. You will be amazed at how being your own cheer leader can help you feel more assured.
- Write a You Commercial. Make a list of your qualities, skills and strengths. Take that information and write a personal commercial about you. Focus on your highlights of what makes you special. Write a 30 to 60 second ad all about you. It sounds corny, but it works and will build confidence, selling capabilities.
- Speak Up. Many times when your confidence is waning and you are not feeling very self-assured, it becomes difficult to speak up. You don’t want to be judged by others as being stupid, pushy, arrogant, or whatever negative idea you have of yourself. Those feelings are rarely justified. People are usually very gracious and accepting. If you make eye contact and smile, people have very positive expectations of you. Make the most of those expectations and you can build confidence, selling capabilities.
We all go through the occasional slump. The goal is to shake it off, move on and regain your confidence. Use these tips to boost your self-confidence. Don’t pressure yourself and don’t beat yourself up. Take charge and let your personal light shine!